This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marae is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
The correct way to do things.
Everyone is Welcome
Visitors to the marae
The home base of the marae
A person's well being, and respecting our elders.
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is how many maraes there are in NZ and also how old they are.